Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Socialized Medicine ROCKS!



Living in Japan is truly wonderful. However, if you have allergies, you are likely to be miserable for 6 months out of the year. This is a country where they planted millions of ceder trees in an attempt to patch over the ravages of their impressive, though no less environmentally insensitive industrial revolution. Apparently nobody told them that ceder pollen is a real pain in the arse. Well, they know now. And short of razing the entire countryside, we are stuck with itchy eyes and runny noses. The up-side to all this discomfort is the Japanese medical system, which is (cover your ears conservatives) SOCIALIZED. This means that the government acts as the sole insurance provider (though people are free to purchase supplemental insurance from private companies to cover what the government plan does not- which is generally 80% of total costs.) I know the horror stories propagated by the right-wingers who say socialized medicine leads to rationed health care and long lines for basic services. Well, let me tell you about my recent foray into this medical mystery.

First, I was told I needed a health check for my new job. I went to a local clinic (anyplace is fine, so I went to the place closest to my house. This was a vast improvement over my HMO coverage back in NYC, where I HAD to go to a doctor on a list prepared by my health care provider- none of whom were even remotely close to my apartment- and if that doesn't sound like rationed health care, I don't know does), I waited about 3 minutes before I was called in to take blood and urine tests and take a chest x-ray. After another 5 minutes I was called in to sit with the doctor to discuss my x-ray. The doctor said there was a little cloudy area on one of my lungs, so I might as well go get a CT scan just to be on the safe side.

A few days later I went to get my CT scan and this time, I wasn't even able to sit down in the lobby before I was called to the CT scan room. 5 minutes later I was back on my bike headed home.

Oh, and did I mention that I didn't pay anything? In Japan CT scans are considered preventative, so they are fully covered.

Man, this was easy, I thought, so when I was going crazy with my allergies, I decided to go see an allergist. This experience was just as smooth- no appointment, no waiting, no money. The only thing I had to pay for was a portion of the medicine prescribed to me: One month's supply of Nasonex, and some Allegra. Total charge: about $15. That's cheaper than Americans having to buy it from Canada!

Now, I know it isn't really free. I have about $400 deducted from my pay every month for coverage for myself and an UNLIMITED number of dependents (this amount also includes deductions for Japan's equivalent of Social Security, so the actual cost for just the health care portion is much lower). The amount deducted from some one's paycheck depends on how much they make; the less they make, the less is taken out, but EVERYBODY pays something. But here is the kicker: Rich or poor, we ALL have the SAME coverage. And the coverage, as far as I can tell, blows away anything I ever had in the U.S. (which I could never afford because my work never offered to pay for it...and that was as a teacher in a public university!

So to all you Americans who fear Bam's Socialized Medicine plan, I hope you get a really really bad runny nose.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish everyone in the U.S. would read this entry. SOOOOO true about Japan. The proposals that are going around are not so generous (only $400 a month in taxes for endless dependents,)but at least there's movement and dialog beginning here. Hope all is well Chris! Had some time so I peeked into your life. Donna