Friday, April 17, 2009

Gedowdaheah!



Here are pics taken on our last night walking around our 'hood of the Guggenheim.

Leaving NYC is bitter-sweet. As much as I loved the city, I never really "got it." "The Greatest City in the World!" Really? This is usually spoken by people who have never been anywhere else. And to my amazement, there are a lot of New Yorkers who NEVER leave the city. I think it is much too over-rated, and once I realized that, I was able to feel more a part of it. I loved our Upper East Side neighborhood, blocks to the park and the amazing museums. I think it would be a great place for people wealthy enough to enjoy it. But for the rest of us it made us poor just being there. I read somewhere that on my income I would have been upper-middle class in Houston TX! In Manhattan I was too broke to give our local bum a quarter. You really feel anonymous here- which is great after living so long in Japan. But I could never understand how people never seemed to remember you. Then one of the guys who works at our corner bagel shop saw me packing our suitcases into a taxi and asked if I was taking a trip. He seemed genuinely bummed I was leaving.

0 comments: